Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Normally I Like Schedules

I do. I swear. Normally I can be downright anal retentive about schedules. Apparently this blog seems to be an exception to that though. But hey, things happen. Real life, that's a thing.

So while this blog is serving as a way to expend some pent up creative writing energy, I'm also reminded that real life gets in the way sometimes. (You know, the thing that happens when you put your phone or computer away? I know, it's scary as hell, but I promise you it does in fact exist.)

...the above is also a reason why I'm writing this blog before I tell you about my opinions of Disney's Frozen. No, not real life. That ridiculous parenthetical you just read. Because even as I was planning out my review of Frozen in my head, I was already editing it, and while it may seem like I ramble on here a lot, a lot of the more chaotic stuff gets edited out.

Rambletastic. That's a word for it. And screw you, spell check. It's totally a word. It's an adjective describing something (in this case my writing) that has a tendency to go on and on and on... well. You get the picture. If not...I have a few pictures for you. There is a point here, trust me.

When I was in high school, I had a psych teacher who was a little off the wall, but he was a damn good teacher. My best friend Desirae and I used to describe his way of lecturing as follows:

There are a few different kinds of people. You have people who when they speak get directly from Point A to Point B. Like so.

Figure 1

You also have people who talk in circles, which can either mean they never actually reach the point they were trying to make, or they do and it just takes a while. Like so.

Figure 2

Now, while we were sorely tempted to just describe our teacher as the third type, it wasn't so simple. Now, normally when we tell this story, this is where the random flailing begins. I've done my best to reproduce it visually. (MS Paint is a bitch.) 

Figure 3

Our teacher always eventually got to the point, but it usually took the whole class. Now, I know what you're thinking. "I've had those teachers, and they're soooooo damn boring." Not so, dear reader. Even though it seemed like quite a journey to ever get to the point, the tangents were stories and usually entertaining and educational in their own right. 

Figure three is how I would best describe "Rambletastic." (See what I did there? It's all one giant freaking metaphor.) To use the word in a sentence I would say: "I'm sorry, but this blog is going to be more rambletastic than I may have led you to believe." 

But I hope that's okay. It's the way I talk, if you know me outside these little marks on your computer or phone, and it's the way I verbally tell stories. (I took a Classics degree. I'll go on and on about Oral Tradition in another blog. And yes. Take a moment and giggle at the innuendo, I know you planned to anyway. I'll wait here.) 

Done giggling? Lovely. 

I have a lot of memories from high school. Some good, some bad, some we shall never speak of. One in particular that still makes me laugh to this day was from my senior year. I was in the midst of applying to universities and had given my English teacher Mrs. Hicks one of the various reference forms that she had been kind enough to agree to fill out. (I'm reading that sentence and imagining her cringing at the structure, but I'm going to just leave it there because otherwise I'm going to lose my train of thought.) It was after school, and I went to her class room to pick up the forms from her. She was nearly done, but needed a few minutes more. I wasn't in a hurry, so I waited in her classroom while she took the form and went down the hall. 

After about twenty minutes she came back with the form. The form had a question that asked the reference to describe the applicant in something like three single words. Something ridiculous. As I recall, she told me that she had gone down the hall to visit one of the other English teachers who knew me well and they had discussed for the twenty minutes whether "quirky" was a positive descriptor or negative. They both agreed that in context it was positive, but she left it off the reference because in a strict sense (read: the dictionary) it wasn't as positive as maybe would have been prudent. 

Quirky. To this day, I'm still very okay with that descriptor. You're likely going to hear a number of references to the English Department at my high school. They understood me. 

And for the record, the latter English Teacher who pulled off the assist? She has a blog too, and frankly she's way better at this nonsense than I am. You can find her over at The Conscientious Reader. I mean come on, that just sounds like some sort of awesome professional blogger madness. Stephanie is a hoot. I lent her my copy of John Green's An Abundance of Katherines when I was in...maybe junior year? She finished it sometime while I was in college, but by then I'd just gone ahead and bought another copy. It's only fair though, I'm still working my way through the copy of Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island that she gifted me some time ago.

(Marginally off topic, but the New York State requirements to get certified to be an English teacher are mind boggling. Gave myself a headache just trying to sort through them.)

You see why it takes me so long to get a review up? I have to sift through all the other crap rummaging around in my head to get to anything about the actual movie. 

I'm going to attempt to get back on the schedule. Somehow. It may or may not work. Either way, I am going to actively attempt to keep up with this blog. 

Expect my thoughts on Disney's Frozen soon. And I mean that this time. 

Cheers, 
KH



No comments:

Post a Comment